Friday, July 27, 2012

Cool Places

Cool Places

I thought I'd make a list of places/destinations I love.  Here they are in random order:

Disneyland and  Disney World.  I have enjoyed Disneyland as a child, teenager, young adult, newlywed, and with my own children.  I have great memories of going there with different people--the Sowby Family, the Hilmans when Hank was alive, on my honeymoon, and with high school or college marching band friends.  It helps that my husband was born and lived close to Disneyland as a child and and loves everything about it.  We went to Disney World for the first time as a family in 2009 and loved it. I was amazed and how huge Disney World is--several miles between parks.

Washington, D.C.  I first visited D.C. when I was 8 years old and I fell in love with it then.  Since then, I have been 8 times.  It was seeing D.C. as a child that sparked my interest in history and as I studied and taught history, my interest in the city grew even more.  I loved taking our kids there in the fall of 2009 and having them be excited about it.  (My daughter now has a poster of Abraham Lincoln hanging in her bedroom).  Every few years there is a new monument or something new to see.  I am anxiously awaiting the MLK Memorial to be finished. My parents lived there from 09-10 and will be there again from 11-12, so we will be sure to visit more than once.

National Parks: Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches.  I saw Bryce and Zion a few times as a youth.  I saw the Grand Canyon once as a teenager and once last summer with my dad and kids.  I went to Arches for the first time in 2009 on a work assignment and loved seeing Delicate Arch with my family.  The Utah National Parks are amazing, beautiful, wondrous, and inspiring.

England.  In 1995 I lived in London as part of a study abroad program.  I loved being immersed in the art, theater, and culture of the city.  I also loved the quaint towns, cathedrals, and scenic rolling hills.  I got to go again in 2005 when I was pregnant with baby #2.  It is a destination I look forward to seeing with my husband and children.

Italy.  Italy is one-of-a-kind.  I went twice with my mom, once in 1995 and once in 1998.  The city of Venice is unlike any other place.  It is something one has to experience in order to understand.  Rome and the Vatican City are amazing.  The art contained in those places is amazing.  Again, it is something one has to experience to understand the awe.

Other cool places I've been:
China--it was neat to stand on the Great Wall and in Tiananmen Square, but it was so 3rd world that I have a hard time wanting to go back.
Japan--Tokyo is the most "foreign" city I have ever seen.  I know that sounds funny, but the lights, tall buildings, crowds of people, and non-recognizable writing are crazy.  Outside the city, traveling a few hours north via train, it was beautiful and green.
Mexico--not the resort or tourist parts.  Between Christmas and New Year 94-95 my parents took us to do a service project in a remote village.  It was 90 miles by bus from Mexico City and another several miles by cattle truck.  The landscape was interesting.  It was dry and desert-like with giant green aloe plants.  Within view was a volcano.
Europe--Germany, Austria, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Scotland.  I had a great time traveling Europe by train with my mom.  I turned 20 in Austria.
Israel--I was 14 when we went.  My memory has faded, but I remember certain places: The Garden Tomb, the Dead Sea, the Dome of the Rock, and the city of Jerusalem.  What an experience for a young girl!
The Oregon coast--I've only been once but I thought it was so neat.  I liked how pine trees lead to a beach.  It was scenery unlike I've seen anywhere else.

Places I want to go:
The Oregon Coast
New York City (I've been twice but want to go with our kids)
The South--maybe Memphis or Nashville
Boston
New Orleans
A cruise--somewhere warm in when it's winter here

No comments: