Friday, July 27, 2012

Moab, Solo, March 2011

Moab, Solo

The end of February, I went to Moab and Monticello, UT for a job assignment.  I went to test students, as I have done there the previous two years.  This time though, Kevin couldn't come and my usual travel partner, my Mom, was unavailable.  So, I went by myself.

I left Monday morning around 10 and got to Arches National Park around 2.  It was a great drive, with clear skies.  It was nice weather while I was there.  After a stop at the visitor's center, I went right to Delicate Arch.  I made the 1.5 mile uphill hike in about 30 minutes.  Once I was getting close, I got excited.  I knew that around the bend I would see the Arch.  It was exciting to see it again.  The family and I saw it for the first time in 2009.  When we went in 2010, it was too snowy to hike.  I was up there by myself.  Not another sole was there.  I tried to take pictures with me in it, but decided to focus on the arch instead.  I walked around to the other side and saw a view I had not seen  before.  It was windy, but nice to be up there.

On the way down I passed some hikers.  I drove into the city and checked into the motel, did some work on the computer, then got some dinner.  I watched TV and went to bed.

The next morning I went to the Moab Library to administer the test to 4 students.  They got done within an hour, so I packed up and headed back to Arches.  It was another gorgeous sunny day and the contrast between the red rock and blue sky was amazing.  I hiked the Park Avenue trail, an easy one-mile hike.  As I hiked and looked at the towering rocks and blue sky, I wondered how people can think God does not exist.  It was evident to me there, that He does exist and that Jesus created this beautiful world.

I had to drive an hour south to Monticello.  Along the way I stopped at Hole-N-the-Rock, a real eyesore.  It is a "museum" of a house some guy carved into the rock in the 1960's.  I bought some cute earrings for Em and a cowboy play set for James, so it was worth it.

As I continued to Monticello, I was really low on gas.  I prayed I would not run out.  I was happy when I saw a gas station over the hill.  I filled up, got some lunch at the Juice Tree, and went to the library for the next round of testing.  Again, they finished fairly quickly.  I left around 3:30 with Dead Horse Point in mind.  I had read about it and heard about it, and wanted to make it there.  To get there, I drove a little bit north of Moab onto a side road where people enter Canyonlands National Park.  Along the way there were cattle in the road.  The drive was not very scenic and I was wondering when I'd get to the point.  I didn't pass any other cars and when I pulled into the Visitor Center parking lot at 5pm, no other cars were there.  I ran in and paid the entrance fee, then took a look.  It was neat, but as the Ranger told me, it was not "the famous" scene.  She directed me a mile up the road to the lookout point.  Again, I was the only one there.  The lookout was amazing.  It was like the Grand Canyon.  I was there as the sun started to set.  The scenery was gorgeous.  I cannot believe I have live in Utah my whole life and never seen this place.  I spent several minutes up there taking a lot of pictures.  I used the self-timer to get some shots of myself.  It was neat and strange at the same time, to be there all by myself.

I left DHP and drove to Green River.  By that point, I had 3 more hours to go and knew I would not be good to continue home.  I had a previous reservation in that town.  There is nothing there, really.  I checked in, got dinner at the gas station Subway, and showered and went to bed.  I left around 8:30 am and made it home to get James from the babysitter at 11:30 am.

I enjoyed this little trip.  Though the main purpose was for work, I am glad I planned ahead and made time to see some of Arches and to see Dead Horse Point.  It was worth it!

No comments: